Learner's Permit Procedures
- Applicant must be 17 years or older to obtain a learner's permit.
- Applicant should obtain a Learner's Permit Form from the Traffic Department, fill out and sign. It must also be signed and stamped by a medical doctor.
- Accompanying the completed form the applicant must present:
- A photocopy accompanied by the original of either Passport, Social Security or Voter's ID card.
- Two passport size photographs.
- A current utility bill to verify current address. (If the bill is Not in the applicant's name, the person whose name the bill is in, will need to provide a signed authorization and a picture ID to facilitate the process) and $30.00
- After payment is made the applicant will receive the Learner’s Permit and an Information Study Sheet for the Written Test.
- One week after obtaining the Learner’s Permit the applicant may sit the examination at the Department of Traffic, Youth for the Future Drive. During the hours of:
Monday to Friday
From 8:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and From 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m
Please bring along your Learner's Permit and a pen.
- If the applicant passes his/her written test, they must then proceed to the Traffic Inspection Booth located on Johnson Street by Matron Roberts Polyclinic to conduct the practical test with the Motor Vehicle Inspector.
- Someone who has a valid driver’s license must accompany the applicant.
- The vehicle must display two L plates one to the front and one at the back of the vehicle. A red L on a white background of the following dimensions 8 inches by 6 inches by 1½ inches.
For Learner's Permit Drivers:
Belize City roads that can be driven by the owner of a Learner’s permit: all streets in the King’s Park Area, West Landivar, Princess Margaret Drive, Port Loyola, Central American Blvd., and Faber’s Road. The permit is valid from 6a.m. to 6p.m.
Once a Learner's Permit is granted, the holder of such permit must abide to the following conditions until he has passed a driving test:
- To be use under the supervision of a person with a valid driver's license.
- To drive a vehicle exposing - at the front and back - a red letter L on white background, with the dimensions: 8"x 6"x 1½".
- To neither convey passengers nor freight during the time the learner is operating a motor vehicle other than a private motor car.